Posted on May 30, 2011
Mentos the freshmaker
I have finally found enough time to look at some problems with the planetary engine I am working on.
One of them was the clipping of the parts of the planet. Some parts were shown when others were not.
The second was that there were more holes in the geometry than swiss cheese. This was because the geometry rendering was not correct.
It should be very round to look like a planet, but It really looks like mentos candy right now. The above picture was ripped from my planetary engine and rendered in my favourite 3d program to really look at he geometry.
Above you can see a lot of geometry was missing. This was due to the amount of primitives I gave for the set of indices in DrawUserIndexPrimitives.If you are drawing Trianglestrips then you need to have two vertices to start the trianglestrip and after that 1 index for each triangle in the strip.It’s explained very clearly in Riemers article about it.
This is a screenshot from my planetary engine. It runs about 5 to 60 fps, so that’s not very stable.